After so many hours trying to fix the damn U727 USB Sprint card, I finally have it working again. It was working fine up until about a week ago when it mysteriously stopped working. I was getting all kinds of messages, including "Unable to connect" and several seemingly useless messages in
/var/log/ppp.log: "Connect script failed", "LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests", "CCLExit: -6021 (No carrier.)", and "CCLExit: -6019 (Modem error, modem not responding.)".
I finally came across this post that included a list of steps which billio discovered fixed the problem for him. I am re-posting his steps here (I hope he doesn't mind):
1. Remove the Novatel USB device.
2. Download the latest driver package for Mac OS X from Sprint. It says it is for Tiger (10.4) but it seems to work.
3. Delete (
sudo rm -rf) all the Novatel files from
4. Run the mpkg installer for the Sprint drivers.
6. Open Network Preferences; plug in the Novatel device; click “+” and add “Novatel CDMA” device.
7. Click “Advanced” button. Change vendor to Novatel and Model to CDMA.
8. Click “Connect” and it works.
And I couldn't believe it, but that actually worked! (I'm writing this post using the Sprint card right now.) You can find the Sprint drivers here (select MAC OS from the drop down and download the Sprint SmartView software).